Reading Rants

Time....reading....bliss....

Sunday, August 27, 2006

"Recently, I read..."

Recently, I have been getting a head start on my textbooks for this year, but I don't want to scare you all away by discussing the many and varied nuggets of wisdom I have gleaned in interaction with these. Please keep reading.

Recently, I have been reading a lot of non-fiction titles on quilting (my newest hobby). This summer I read a powerful novel by Tommy Hays, called The Pleasure Was Mine. It is a story about an old man caring for his wife, who is in the final stages of Alzheimers. The story is told from his perspective with frequent flashbacks to the past (as he remembers it himself). For some reason, I love cranky old narrators. Their stories are full of such depth and irony. If you want to read other reviews of The Pleasure Was Mine, here's the link: http://www.tommyhays.com/

In my devotions, I am just finishing the book of Isaiah. I have found this incredibly dense book simply amazing. I have to admit this is my first time reading it through because I could never understand it. (I tended to keep rereading the books I could understand.) But I am reading out of a Wesleyan Study Bible and the notes have been helping me to grasp things I never saw before. The way that this book is tied to every other book in the Bible really confirms my belief in the inspired, inerent Word of God. The allusions and prophecies of Isaiah to his contemporaries, predessors, and New Testament events baffles my mind. Needless to say, I think the Bible is awesome.

I hope that you will feel free to response with your own opinions, thoughts, and reading notes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanie said...

I have been reading Anne of Igleside, by this I mean I read a few chapters at a time. (The library is probably going to deny me a renewal next time!)I have had a harder time getting into this book than I did the other Anne books. I just can't identify with the grown-up Anne. I mean, with a maid doing all the work, she makes floral arrangements, listens to her children, and throws parties. Life seems too easy for her. But I do like Montgomery's work in general. She always paints her stories in vivid strokes. I would like to read some of her other series. What is the Emily series like?

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home